Who doesn’t love the idea of a makeover? Particularly when you are learning to adapt your self image to accommodate the role of being a mother. Many women want to discuss a mommy makeover when they pull out their old “pre-baby” jeans or swimsuit and realize that it just doesn’t fit the same as it used to. In many ways, they are at the happiest time of their life and the image of sagging skin in their tummy and breast area does not reflect the way they feel – vibrant, happy, and busy with the important role of being a mother and a woman.
MOMMY MAKEOVER PATIENT TESTIMONIAL
“After having both my kids, my figure was not the same. It wasn’t until you explained to me about the muscle separation did I understand that I had done everything I could to get my stomach tight again. I’m happy I decided to go ahead and have the breast surgery at the same time and not wait. Thank you for everything”. L.M.
WHAT IS A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
A “Mommy Makeover” is a term that was coined to address the common combination of surgeries that women pursue in order to help get their figure close to a pre-pregnancy state. Pregnancy is a very natural state, but also one that brings radical hormonal changes to a woman’s body. These changes and the added effect of weight fluctuation can leave excess skin in the stomach and breast area and diminish the volume of breast tissue. They can also leave stubborn fat deposits that are resistant to diet and exercise. These fat deposits are usually found in the hip and upper thigh areas. A “Mommy Makeover” surgery can really be any combination of the following:
- Breast augmentation and a tummy tuck
- Breast augmentation with breast lift and a tummy tuck
- Breast reduction and a tummy tuck
- Breast lift with a tummy tuck
- Any of the above, with liposuction
Of course, not all women who go through the pregnancy and nursing years emerge on the other side needing or wanting surgery. But, for those that do, it is important to keep a few things in mind.
IS IT SAFE?
One of the first questions a patient asks about a mommy makeover is safety. Is it really OK to do a breast surgery AND a stomach surgery at the same time? And even some liposuction? This is an excellent question and one that can confidently be answered, yes! It is important to be conservative about the amount of liposuction that is performed when you are also having breast surgery and a tummy tuck. I will only recommend removing a small amount of fat tissue in this combination procedure.
A MOTHER’S RECOVERY
I am very busy at home! How will I be able to recover?
The recovery period required by these surgeries complement each other. By having a tummy tuck and adding a breast augmentation with a lift is not going to extend your recovery period by much, if at all. It will require you protect yourself in those first few days and arrange for help around the house.
Now that I am a mom, I don’t want to look too ‘nipped & tucked’. What will be the biggest changes?
The biggest difference you will see is when you are in a bathing suit or undressed. The fact is that during a “Mommy Makeover” three issues are addressed.
- Excess skin is removed. Many people think that their excess skin is fatty tissue. It is not. When it is removed, your clothes fit better and you are smaller, but not by a drastic measure. You are more similar to how you were before your waist went through that third trimester. Tightening your abdominal muscles during a tummy tuck helps draw your waist in a bit as well.
- Breast shape is altered. One that complements and accentuates your figure rather than one that overwhelms it. After pregnancy, your breasts usually have either less volume or excess skin or both. By performing breast surgery to enhance the breast and restore it to a fuller, more youthful state, you are ensuring that as you continue to age, your “start point” will be reset.
- Body contour is sculpted. You might have hips now that you didn’t before, or ‘saddlebags’ on your thighs. These fatty deposits are very resistant to diet and exercise. With liposuction, you can conservatively reduce the size of these deposits without compromising your shapely figure.
YOUR NEXT STEP
While we provide our patients with an opportunity to look through before and after photos of actual mommy makeover patients during their consultation with Dr. Hobar, we urge our visitors to view our interactive before and after photo gallery while visiting our website. If you have any questions about mommy makeover procedures please send us your questions or call our Dallas office directly at (214) 823-8423.
If all of your questions have been answered and you feel confident about taking the next step towards a successful mommy makeover you should schedule a consultation with Dr. Hobar today!